Thursday, November 24, 2005

wanted: holiday

as some of you might have heard from me personally, i'm in desperate need of a vacation...i just need a change of environment, pace of life, and basically a break from this monotony.

anyway, i was walking alone along orchard road one afternoon (about 2 weeks ago), when this sweet young thing stopped me and asked if i could do a survey from her. i'm pretty sure most of you who frequent orchard have experienced this kinda stuff before, but looking at her golden-retreiver-puppy-eyes made my heart weak, and so i gave in and completed the form for her. in return, she said that there was some lucky draw with a grand prize of 7 nights' accommodation in various countries...i'm sure most of you have also kena this kinda stuff before too...but anyway, i won the grand prize (as expected), and since i had a lot of free time to kill, i decided to go and listen to the time share talk, so that i could collect my grand prize (the aforementioned eyes did the convincing for me once again)...it was for this asian travel club or something like that...

so i listened for about 1 and a half hours to this indian lady telling me about all the perks lah, this and that lah, without actually telling me how much it costs to join the club...which she refused to tell me till the end. to make a long story short, it costs $15,000 for a normal person to sign up, but just for me and only if i signed up there and then, she'd give me the vip special rate of $12,000...after which, i'd still need to pay $500+ per year for subscription fees. wow...imagine how many holidays i could have gone for already just with the joining fee alone. the lady must have thought that i'm damn stupid or something. eventually, i told her that i wasn't interested and asked about my "grand prize"...so she passed me some brochure thingy with some "voucher number" on it and told me to read the instructions...after which, she stormed off (obviously pissed off cuz she just wasted 1.5 hours of MY time).

the brochure showed a lot of different country locations that i could go to for 7 nights of free accommodation...some were really exotic: canary islands, fiji, spain, portugal, bali, goa (india), australia, philippines, and thailand. however, they didn't list any resort names, or even the cities in those countries that was on showcase...then i glanced through the booking form which asked for my particulars...and my CREDIT CARD NUMBER for "verification"...after filling out of which, i'm supposed to send to chaeng wattana road in bangkok, thailand. they must really think i'm a fucking idiot.

but i really need a holiday leh...how? has anyone ever tried this before??? should i risk having my credit card number being spread to timbuktu for the chance of having free accommodation??? sigh, sadly i think i just answered my own question.

BUT I REALLY NEED A HOLIDAY!!! ARGH!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I better identify myself as the Perth Adeline. Or in short, please call me Addie.

Don't be crazy, giving out your credit card number like that! I'm sure you know you'll end up in trouble.

Anyway, yeah take a holiday and come to perth! I've finished my exams and am a lady of leisure here till dec 19th. Come come come!! I so free, summer here, we go beach and relak!! Then i bring you to wineries to drink nice wine (cheaper than in Xin Jia Por)!! Take a holiday to the most isolated city in the world! Perth!

Jo said...

I'm Cambo Jo or just call me Jo

TIME SHARING is crap & Don't go to Perth! Sorry, Addie...

Come to Cambodia! I'm always slacking off work and just like you, I'm a boy of bomb (until 22nd Dec - thats when I fly back Spore for holidays)!!!

I damn bored also, always freaking hot here. We can go to the riverside and drink Angkor beer!!!

Then we go Angkor Wat and drink beer again!!!

Take a holiday to one of the poorest countries in Asia! CAMBODIA!!!

Anonymous said...

Never ever joined the club. Its a trap. TV have interview the victimssssssss from the club b4. The club is just excatly same as what u r describing.

Anonymous said...

See, all you have to do is ask and lotsa people are happy to have you around! Cambodia sounds like a good one.

I always go to this website for ideas on what to do:
http://www.intrepidtravel.com/destination.php?region=cambodia

Anonymous said...

No! No go Angkor Wat. No Babes to see. Come Perth!! Here got plenty of babes with puppy dog eyes to sway you Sky!! hee hee = )

Sounds more like two bored pple, one that's skiving off work and one fresh graduate snatching for sky's company!

miss ene said...

No no no no no no no no and NO again. I work in the travel industry and there have been a lot of complaints about such companies. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SUCH COMPANIES AND SCAMS !

miss ene said...

Oh and please go visit Cambodia. Awesome place. Angkor Wats may not have babes but got alot of backpacker babes ;)

moby sky said...

thanks people, for all the advice on the time-share thingy...i won't be suckered in. =)

wow...i never expected such a tug-of-war for perth and siem reap...haha. anyway, thanks for all the offers guys...i'll really think about it cuz i've never been to either place, and i'm in dire need for a holida. but as it is, plane tickets to perth are exhorbitant now...like $600+...but camobodia's even worse...$700+...and it's not easy booking a flight at this time of the year for either place...unless of course i get friends in the TRAVEL INDUSTRY to help out (hint hint!!! hahaha)...i'll let you all know again. =)

GraceYuMommy said...

hey, you have great friends who "desperately" needed company. ha ha
oh, coincidentally, 2 days ago, my friend called me to announce she is going to Phuket Marriott next month cos she got 3 nites accomodation (foc) after listening to time-share talk. fyi. i am not for such stuff anyway.

moby sky said...

graceyumommy...i hope you did the right thing and told her not to get conned...apparently these things are rampant nowadays...

GraceYuMommy said...

i am sorry i did not. she is going with her hubby (a doctor, i expect some intelligence and caution there). instead, i asked her to give me a report on Marriott Phuket. ha ha