Sunday, July 31, 2005

Nobody

Nobody loves me,
Nobody cares,
Nobody picks me peaches and pears.
Nobody offers me candy and Cokes,
Nobody listens and laughs at my jokes.
Nobody helps when I get in a fight,
Nobody does all my homework at night.
Nobody misses me,
Nobody cries,
Nobody thinks I'm a wonderful guy.
So if you ask me who's my best friend, in a whiz,
I'll stand up and tell you that Nobody is.
But yesterday night I got quite a scare,
I woke up and Nobody just wasn't there.
I called out and reached out for Nobody's hand,
In the darkness where Nobody usually stands.
Then I poked through the house, in each cranny and nook,
But I found somebody each place that I looked.
I searched till I'm tired, and now with the dawn,
There's no oubt about it -
Nobody's gone!

- Shel Silverstein

why does everybody wanna be somebody if nobody cares?

*update: blinkymummy's addition: "why does everybody want somebody when nobody cares?" true, true...*

5 comments:

mooiness said...

Wah cheem...but I'll attempt an interpretation. ;)

The final point of the poem is to say that we actually have somebody that cares but yet we still keep looking.

Would that be one possible interpretation?

Jaschocolate said...

If nobody is nobody, why are we wasting our time searching for nobody?

moby sky said...

mooiness...the beauty of poetry is that you can interpret it any way you want to. everyone will have different reactions, thoughts and feelings after reading the same poem. it is a very personal, and very mind-opening to say the least. i like to read poems because i feel as if my thoughts have been duly expressed by someone else's words, without them knowing what the hell is happening in my life. =)

chocolove...because nobody is perfect! =)

Paperman said...

Ooh. Why do you like this piece moby?

moby sky said...

vandice...that's like asking why is the sky blue. ;) just cuz i like it lah! haha. very meaningful...can be interpreted in many ways and in many situations. =)