Saturday, September 03, 2005

our songs

i was just listening to music on my mp3...when a few of the songs that my ex-girlfriend(s) and i dubbed "our song(s)" started playing...just thought that i'd jot them down here before i forget them all when i grow older and stop having this kinda "our song" fetish.

1. yunxi (韵曦) and i listened to chinese songs...from andy lau (刘德华) to jackie cheung (张学友)...we loved them...shocked? i still am. i credit my limited range of chinese karaoke songs that i can sing to these teenage days. anyway, we got together one week before valentine's day...so naturally, being the insecure kid that i was (my first girlfriend what...damn kan chiong ok...), i wanted to give her something on v-day to imprint myself into her memory...well sort of. so i bought a faye wong (王菲) cd...cuz there were two songs inside that would remind her of me...天空 (sky) and 棋子 (chess). for those of you who don't know...my chinese name is 天骐 (aiyah, quite difficult to find a song that has "骐" inside lah)...so i figured that the combination of the two songs would kinda be like a reminder to her of my existence. haha. and that was how these two songs became "our song(s)". silly. yeah, i know. two years later, one week before valentine's day, she broke my heart and changed my life forever...literally. i wouldn't be sitting here in my farrer court home now if it weren't for her...i'd probably be "yo-yo-yo"ing with those punks in the states...but everything happens for a reason right? =)

2. kat and i were both very emotional and sentimental people. the circumstances under which we got together was rather messy. she was the outgoing vice-president of the hall in her senior year. she was the girlfriend of the poster boy of the hall, johan. she was the diamond of her batch (ok lah...suyin was pretty chio also lah...but that's another story for june...haha). i was a blur freshman. not much of a poster boy. still growing up and still yearning for 韵曦. but anyway, in short, we got together...and the whole hall (especially the seniors) was stunned to disbelief...(but that's another story for another rainy day). it started a few months after she broke up with johan, when i went to her room one night to watch tv...and then "nothing compares to you" by sinead o'connor started playing on the radio...so i made my move by asking her to slow dance with me. haha. how cheeky. but she agreed, and we had an awkward dance there in the hostel room. i guess it's kinda cute when i think back. anyway, when the time came to choose "our song" (again) i actually wanted sinead o'connnor's song. but then after listening more closely to the lyrics, i realised that it's actually a fucking sad song (i'll post the lyrics some other day)...so we decided on the song that must have been every other couples' song as well at that time..."all my life" by k-ci and jojo (aiyah...stop laughing...admit it lah...YOU'VE ALSO BEEN AT THAT STAGE BEFORE!!!)...but we stuck to it throughout our 3-and-a-half-year-on-and-off relationship. and up till now, i've never met anyone who's loved me more than kat...all my life...the sacrifices that she's made for me, the numerous "huh?? what's she doing with him???" comments in the hall (and maybe even outside of the hall), the tears she's cried...it pains me so to have broken her heart...so many times. but everything happens for a reason right? =)

3. caris and i were together for about 2 weeks. not really enough time to choose "our song"...which means this entry will be as brief as our relationship. but everything happens for a reason right? =)

4. mandy was my good friends' ex-girlfriend. notice it's "friends'" and not "friend's". another criminous relationship which stirred up a lot of shit in the hall. not really keen on elaborating in case i offend people...but then again, this is MY blog...so anyway, she started hanging out with me more and more...up to a point where she'd stay over and stuff, but i was always quite reluctant to get together with her because of 3 good reasons...good friends darren, suthesh and chen fye. it turns out that only the middle one had a problem...and made it very clear that it was either him or her...even though he was already happily attached...but i made a decision and told mandy that i chose him...which really pissed her off cuz she didn't see why he could dictate who she could go out with...and in a way, i saw her point, and didn't or chose not to see my friend's...is that how love is blind? our song was "yellow" by coldplay...cuz when we were having that fateful conversation, it was at night on the rooftop of the engineering faculty, looking at the stars. mandy broke up with me in february the following year cuz she said that she didn't love me, but we got back together in may cuz she said she missed me (sounds like the lyrics to some michael bolton song)...only for me to fuck it up. literally (another story, another day). in the end, i lost a good friend for someone who wasn't really serious about me. but everything happens for a reason right? =)

5. adeline was the girl that i put in the most effort. i loved her the most, though i know not why. when we first started dating, i'd go over to her house on the weekends, and have lunch...we were neighbours back then, so it all seemed pretty innocent (haha). after lunch, in order to avoid those awkward silence spells, i'd ask her to play the piano for me (she was and still is a part-time piano teacher)...which she'd happily oblige to. one of the songs that she played was johann pachelbel's "canon in d". i used to ply my trade for the string orchestra back in njc, and it used to be one of the songs that we played...so i knew each and every note that she played (and also if she played them wrong!! haha), and was thrilled to hear the classic piece again, after so many years of absence...the string instruments would come in one by one, like the gentle waves on the shores of bintan...followed by the slow crescendo of all the instruments into a cauldron of beautiful music, swirling and swerving with each note...until the finale, which curtains with a collective sigh...as if the composition were sad that it was the end. mr. pachelbel, you're a genius. so anyway, after we got together, it wasn't difficult finding "our song"...although adeline did mention "love me" by collin raye...but i thought that it had no connection whatsoever to us and our relationship...so "canon in d" it was. for her 22nd birthday, i went to her parents' house (she'd already moved back in with her parents by then) with a bouquet of 22 red roses, blindfolded her, and brought her back to my place, still blindfolded, where i sat her down and started playing "canon in d" for her on my viola. i almost started crying myself, i was so touched by her reaction. i thought at that point of time, i would never (and would never have to) love another person more. all that changed in february this year (ttmc can tell you everything if you wanna know)...but everything happens for a reason right? =)

p.s. - hmmm...i just realised something...60% of my ex-girlfriends broke up with me in february...the supposed month of love. "wake me up, when february ends"...hmmmm...doesn't sound quite right leh...i guess it's back to the drawing boards again... =)

5 comments:

Jo said...

good stuff...when do we start casting for skytv?

Daniel said...

ah...I love Canon in D too. What a beautiful melody.

Anonymous said...

Very nice honest post. All things happen for a reason, and I hope it'll be a good reason for you mate!

All the best in future!!

ps. Canon in D is also my favourite song! I'm learning piano now so that one day, I can play it too!! Uh, sorry, I won't play it for you though. Male.

Chelonia Munnster said...

canon in D.....
ain't that a digital camera?

moby sky said...

jo...auditions are on-going as i type...but i'd only need you for season 2. haha. =)

daniel...yeah, lovely song. =)

mib...no problem...i wouldn't wanna hear being played by anyone else either. =)

munnster...i think you've got your nikon lens stuck somewhere in your brain lah...hahaha. =)