Wednesday, September 14, 2005

pet lessons

i heard this kid downstairs at the 4D shop today asking his dad if he could throw a stone at this stray cat. i think the uncle was aware of my hideous glare, cuz he quickly pulled his stupid son away and rushed off. when my siblings and i were growing up, my parents filled our lives with pets. i think this is why i love animals so much now...and in a way, it has made me the person i am today. i wish it were every parents' responsibility to ingrain this kind of awareness into their kids...in fact, it's not even about being environmentally friendly (i'm not the kind who will go and be a tree-hugger or anything like that...), but about respecting nature and it's children. you'd be surprised at the lessons that can be learned from raising pets.

when i was a baby, my dad's side of the family had this huge-ass german shephard that prowled the backyard of my grandparent's house back in taiwan. his name was "taka" (which apparently meant "eagle" or something like that). he was damn fierce to strangers...but the most loyal dog in the whole world to his family. i remember getting drenched in his saliva even as a toddler. on my maternal grandparents' side, they had a dachshund - aka sausage dog (can't remember his name though), who was the exact opposite...he'd lick every person who'd come his way...he was so friendly that he'd even let me ride on his back once in a while. they were my first encounters with pets. that's how i became comfortable around animals.

naturally, as i grew older, i'd start bugging my parents for our own pet. we were staying in an apartment back then, cuz my dad was still teaching in 交通大学 (jiao tong university)...and we couldn't get anything that barked or made a lot of noise...so ducks and rabbits were brought into my life. but they didn't last very long cuz the ducklings caught a flu...and died...while the rabbits were hunted down by stray dogs when we let them out to play on the grass patch downstairs...and well...died too. let's just say that i had an early introduction to the concept of death beacuse of that.

soon afterwards, we moved to the states. in california, we didn't have enough time to settle down to get a pet...so my brother and i would go out to our backyard and catch crickets, grasshoppers, snails, beetles, fireflies, and even earthworms to bring back to our little aquarium tank at home. they'd normally all die within a few days, cuz we didn't know that they needed proper food and housing in order to survive. but we soon figured out how to keep them alive a little longer with the help of my mom (who was very understanding, and probably concerned as well, about all the dead insects around the house). another few lessons learned on the basics for survival, and the importance of being caring and responsible.

and then we moved to the big apple. in new york, my dad brought us to the pet store one day, and asked us to choose something. it was one of the most brilliant days in my whole life. they had EVERYTHING there. i fell in love with the ferret in the glass enclosure immediately. back then, at least in new york, it was still legal to own one (though i don't know about now). ferrets are the smartest, brightest, cutest, most cuddly animals alive...but we couldn't afford one. i was so disappointed, but then we still took home a pair of guinea pigs, so...i learned to live with my disappointment, and be content with what i had. yet another chapter in the "life lessons" book.

one year later, my dad decided to change jobs, so we had to uproot again...this time, to michigan...where my dad was going to teach at the michigan state university. we had to give the guinea pigs away. by then, i had already gotten so attached to them that it was very heartwrenching for me to leave them behind. but i had to let go cuz the plane ride would have been too stressful for them to survive. another painful "breakup".

when we settled down in michigan, my dad decided that we were ready for a DOG!!! wowsers...that's up there along with the pet store in new york experience!!! we searched the papers for advertisements, and low and behold, someone was giving out free puppies! so we drove out to the farm where they were at and got ourselves a little black cocker spaniel puppy. we named her "小黑" ("little blackie"). we kept her in a dog house in our back yard, in a fenced up area, about the size of a king sized bed. 小黑 was a very hyper dog, and would want to run everywhere...but the more she wanted to run, the more i wanted to hold her tighter on the leash. finally, one day, while i was trying to get her back into her pen...she ran away. we never found her after that. eventually, we got another dog...a german shephard husky mix. DAMN cute. she had the german shephard golden dots above her eyes and a husky curled up tail. we named her "happy". silly name, but she was really just that. happy. but then, same story as with 小黑. same ending. it's not that we mistreated or ill-treated her in any way...it's just that she wanted the space to run, and the freedom to be herself, which i didn't give. if you love something, you have to set it free...if it loves you in return, it'll come back. a hard lesson even for an adult...not to mention the small kid that i was.

all in all, i think animals played a large part in my growing up years. i wished that the father today taught his son a lesson or two. cruelty to animals is actually punishable by law...though sometimes too leniently. i don't know...maybe i just have this respect for animals...the same as i would have for a teacher...a teacher who's been with me my whole life, and who's still tutoring me...albeit without words. get a pet for your son asap...i think you would reap more benefit from it than all those 4D tickets could ever bring you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me to share my Pet Stories with u too.

I used to stay with my grandparents since i was born. We had a doggie call Ah Wong (Typical chinese name given by my handsome ah gong). He's a mongrel, he came to our family b4 me. We used to stay at a small town, we didnt have a cage or even a chain for the doggie, means we just let the doggie run/walk/sleep/play wherever he likes to. My pretty grandma was the one who in charge of his meals. Ah Wong never tried dog food b4 (Lastime where got so high-tech, dog food, dog vitamin, dog salon etc), we normally just feed him with the left over foods. Every night after the dinner, my grandma will gather the left over dishes and mix them with some rice for ah wong's dinner. Ah Wong getting older day after day. once day, my grandma told me that ah wong missing in action le, i asked why, grandma said ah wong is very old, he wanna go heaven le. Grandma also told me that ah wong chose to MIA, bcos of he is loyal and good, he doest want to trouble and upset us by grief. he just gone like that. Since then i never seen him again. Have u heard of this b4? Until now i still believe this is true, cos i have experienced it. Bcos of Ah Wong, I've learnt that doggie is a very loyal mate since i was a little girl. Maybe bcos of this reason. I love doggie a lot.

My brothers like to catch the inserts too, the most famous one is a mini spider (Dunno what its called), and following by crickets. They dont just treat the insert as a pet, they treat the insert as a fighter. Cos they like to gather together with friends and complete with each other's insert, let the insert fight among themselve and see whose insert is the best fighter. This is one of the popular game back in my childhood days.

After the inserts, we want something more excited. My 2 elder brothers started keeping the dark colour small Fighting Fish (Dunno what its called again, but i bet to say u know what fish im talking about).Oh well, for the same purpose, they keep the fish for fighting game again! Haa.. I always wanted to get myself a fish too, but i was too young and also too poor to buy myself a fish.

One day, i saw many black colour fishes in the longkang somewhere near by my house, i was damn happy, cos finally i can have my own fish! i catch some of the fishes and put them into a plastic bag, and bring them home. After that, i got a empty beancurd-paste bottle from my mum (Cannot afford to buy a fish tank, used the bottle instead). After happily playing with them for a week, the black colour fishes turned into funny look, i found that they have 2 small legs in between the tails, I was like "WOW, i have rare alien fish, must show off and let other see". i decided to name them ALIEN FISH. So i brought them and show to my mummy, i said "Mum, look, my fishes got legs leh, alien fish (so yaya like that)". My mum was like "OH DEAR, THEY ARE TADPOLES, NOT FISH" i still gong gong, cos i didnt know what is tadpoles, asked again, i only know tadpoles mean frog babies. Haha, immediately throw them back into the longkang! And this happended at my ages of 7 :-)

Okay, primary school! finally i can afford to buy myself a REAL PET, cos i have pocket money le. i brought myself gold fishes, hamster and even rat b4. But they all also said bye bye to me after not long, bcos i am not a good owner, i didnt take good care of them! Heee..

Secondary school: sec 1! I got myself a puppy - Bobby. he's a mogrel too. I got this doggie from my neighbour. I brought Bobby home without my parent's permission. My parents dont quite like pets, but i dont care, cos I think i am matured enough to be the take care of the him. For times, i got scolded bcos of the doggie. I feed bobby with left over foods, i dont lock or chain him too. Just like how we treat ah wong. Give him 100% freedom as long as he dun bite. Something interesting about Bobby, when he was 1 year old, he ran away from home. I didnt know if he lost his way home or kena kidnapped (But cannot be kidnap la, who wants to kidnap a mongrel). i tried to hard to look for him, but just couldnt find him, i thought im not gonna see him again. But after more than 9 months, he came home with the skinny and weak body. CAN U BELIEVE THAT? MORE THAN 9 MONTHS!! I couldnt even regconise his face. cos he's so skinny! But i know he is my doggie, i can see the joy in his face, how excited he is when he see me. Keep jumping on me and shaking the tail. I like him alot, i save up my pocket money just bcos of i wanna buy something for him. My mum always tease me if Bobby is my son. Oh yeah, i really treat him like my son.

Sec 4: I got myself another puppy. Its a chihuahua - Bobo. Given by my classmate, (Hoho, i drive my parents mad, got myself another dog again. TWO DOGS NOW! hahaha). This spoilt Bobo, a little bit arrogant, dont like to entertain other, only like to play with me. She just spent 3 months with me, cos she got food poisoned and died in the ages of 3 months old.

College: Too busy for pet, even dun have time for my Bobby. And i started pushing the responsibility to my younger sis, always asked my sis to look after Bobby. The most important thing is make sure that Bobby will not provoke my dad, as my dad doesnt like him. I dont mean to abadon him, just... He is a good doggie, but i am a bad owner. even when I see he falls sick, but i cant do anything, its too expensive for me to send him to veterinary, i cannot afford. and i know my parents will not help me, cos they dont like pet. And after awhile, Bobby also bye bye to me le. I lost a son. I cry and cry and cry, never cry like this b4. the grief is more than falling out of love. Does Bobby know that i still miss him? i wonder.

Until now i still feel sorry for him, cos i didnt take good care of him.

Jo said...

when i'm rich and don't need to work and my wife start refusing to pleasure me, i'll get a dog or cat

mooiness said...

Actually hor, if you had got breeds that are not so hyper then the little space you gave them would be ok. And they wouldn't have run away.

Huskies and the like definitely need the space. :)

moby sky said...

fayeth...thanks. =)

lim...thanks for your stories...but i think you'll understand my post better when you graduate from jc. =)

jo... ..........

mooiness...it's not really about giving them physical space...i walked them almost everyday and played with them too...but i think they were just free spirits...and i think i just wanted to control them back then. haha. and besides...i don't like those small dogs that do nothing but bark all day and run away when you wanna pet them... =)

Daniel said...

once upon a time, I caught a pigeon. It flew into my balcony and on a whim, I decided to make it a pet. I tied its leg to the window grille and put a bonsai plant under it for it to roost. I fed it well and treated it as nicely as I can. However, it never looked happy. I decided to let it go.
Two days later, I came out of my bedroom to the sound of chirping. There it was, back in the balcony. Perhaps to say a final byebye.
I wonder where it is now.

moby sky said...

daniel...birds were meant to fly...have you seen the latest visa ad with richard gere in it? that's the way it should be (though i'm not a big richard gere fan...)...i'm glad you gave the pigeon the freedom to feel the wind beneath his wings again. =)

Daniel said...

hey I was a dumb kid then ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi moby sky,

I am no longer schooling. I am working now, for more than a year. - Lim

d4wn said...

so many different types of pets! pets i ever had are fishes...and i cried when they died...lol.wish i could have a retriever!